The Calendar of Queer Saints and Martyrs for the full year now lists only the most important of the large number that could be included – “most important”: those widely recognised as saints, and also with good reason to be described as in some sense queer.
The monthly pages provide a more comprehensive listing of queer people in church history, including some lesser figures, some for whom the descriptor “queer” is more speculative, and some who were clearly were not saints. All are important for illustrating some part of queer Christian history.
- St Brigid (Jesus in Love Blog)
- Apollonia, woman deacon (Womenpriests.org)
- St Mary /Marinos of Alexandria, Cross-dressing Saint? (LGBT Catholic Handbook)
- Polyeuct (and Nearchus): Brothers by affection (Jesus in Love Blog)
Feb 14th: Valentine’s Day
- Same – Sex Lovers in Church History
- Saint Valentine: Marriage equality role model (Jesus in Love Blog)
- Marcella Althaus-Reid, “Indecent Theologian”
- Peter Damian?
- Fr Robert Carter, Priest and Gay Activist (Queer Saints & Martyrs)
- St Gorgonia , woman deacon (Womenpriests.org)
- Saint Avertanus and Blessed Romeo, Patron Saints of AIDS
- Rev Peter Gomes: Gay, Black, Baptist, Republican. (Queer Saints & Martyrs)