Catholic tradition honours the remarkable men and women who have contributed significantly to its heritage by recognising them as saints. Secular tradition like to remember specific events or causes by setting aside specific dates for their observance. This page is a start at assembling a calendar of notable dates of importance to our queer Christian community.
The Calendar of Queer Saints and Martyrs for the full year now lists only the most important of the large number that could be included – “most important”: those widely recognized as saints, and also with good reason to be described as in some sense queer.
The monthly pages provide a more comprehensive listing of queer people in church history, including some lesser figures, some for whom the descriptor “queer” is more speculative, and some who were clearly were not saints. All are important for illustrating some part of queer Christian history.
Aug 3 rd
- St Lydia , woman deacon (Womenpriests.org)
- St Nonna , woman deacon (Womenpriests.org)
Aug 10 th
- Edith Stein, “St Theresa Benedicta of the Cross”(Queer Saints & Martyrs
Aug 13 th
- St Radegunde , woman deacon (Womenpriests.org)
Aug 18 th
- Bryan Jordan Smith (1983-2004), Mormon Suicide (Affirmation Suicide Memorial)
Aug 20 th
- St Bernard of Clairvaux and Malachi (Queer Saints & Martyrs)
Aug 28 th
- St Augustine of Hippo, Bishop & Doctor (LGBT Catholic Handbook)